Skip to main content

THE Call

So, I just a call (THE call) from my reproductive endocrinologist's (RE's) office letting me know that this intrauterine insemination (IUI) cycle was a failure, just like the previous IUI cycle last month. My husband and I decided earlier this year, when we were of sound mind, that we would do two IUI's and then one final frozen embryo transfer (FET) before throwing in the towel. Well, since we have exhausted our IUI's, we are now moving on to the FET cycle, but there is a caveat - due to our recurrent cycle failure from last year, my doctor has recommended we do an Endometrial Receptivity Array. This requires a mock cycle, where they begin FET protocol and then instead do two endometrial biopsy's, about 48 hours apart, and send the tissue samples off to a lab for analysis. After that, we wait for the results before beginning the FET protocol again but with the new information from the biopsies. This link here explains it better than I can.

Anyway, the mock cycle + waiting for the results adds on another 5 weeks to the process, which really doesn't sit well with me because that would put my due date at the end of next August. I am currently halfway through my first semester of nursing school and my third semester should begin sometime around August 23rd, 2018. I know that I will be okay if I end up having a baby (or two??), but part of me is wondering why I would make nursing school any harder for myself than it already will be, ya know? On the other hand, we have been trying for so long that I would really just like the process to be over and if we do this and it fails, too, then I will know that we really did try everything and I think it will be easier for me to accept being done.

Now, it's time for wine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Progesterone in Ethyl Oleate

Due to a nationwide shortage of my usual progesterone-in-oil, I have been using some compounded stuff that uses ethyl oleate and HOLY SHIT IT HURTS. It goes in a lot easier, but it seriously hurts. I hope the manufacturer gets their shit figured out soon because I would like to go back to my old formulation as soon as humanly possible.

6 weeks, 2 days

Not much has been happening here. My new semester started last Monday and it was chaos as usual until Thursday afternoon. Next week I should only need to go to school twice: once for class day and once for lab day. I had to tell my lab instructor about my injections so that I could procure a private space to do my PIO injection that wasn't a totally public restroom. I don't know if he thinks I'm actually pregnant or just trying, but they will all know soon enough. Obviously I'm not showing yet, but I have lost 4lbs so if this keeps up I imagine I will be showing sooner than later because there will be less belly fat to hide the organism * growing inside me. It appears that I'm going to get nausea in the afternoons like I did with my son. I never had sickness in the mornings, just light nausea in the late afternoons. I never threw up like you see newly pregnant women doing in the movies. I would like to find a tea made only from ginger (no hibiscus, no lemongrass,...

T-Day!

So, today is the day we have been working towards. It's transfer day . I developed a low-grade fever yesterday afternoon and I am PANICKING. I called the nurse line at the doctor's office today just to make sure that we can still go ahead with this. I really don't want to cancel but I also don't want to waste $3000 on an embryo transfer that's possibly doomed before we even begin. My RE said, multiple times, that a fever is definitely a reason to cancel. My temp never got higher than 99.6, and it was normal all night, and it's still normal this morning.... but still. I feel like I've been nothing but a problem patient this cycle. I don't remember it being like this my last two FET's. I really really REALLY just want this to fucking work this time.